Today I’m having a glass of pinot noir with fellow Inkspell author, the lovely Julie Navickas and we’re talking about her new upcoming release, I love you yesterday.
Before we talk about her book, though, let’s get to know her better!
- Tea or wine or margaritas? (what brand/type/cultivar)
Always red wine; pinot noir is my favorite!
- Read or jog?
You will never find me jogging voluntarily! But you can always find me with a book in my hand.
- Cats or dogs?
Dogs! I have two rescues at home (a 14-year-old beagle/coonhound mix named Snoopy, and a 10-year-old cocker spaniel/schnauzer mix named Dexter Morgan)
- Heels or flats?
I despise heels. Always flats for this girl!
- Boxers or briefs?
I’m a romance novelist; every male character I write wears boxers!
- Milk, dark or white chocolate?
I’m not a huge chocolate eater, but if given the choice I’d choose milk chocolate.
- Sweet or savoury?
Sweet! Just try and keep me away from a donut on Sunday morning!
- Sea or mountains
The sea! I once had a terrible experience trying to learn to ski and ever since then the mountains just don’t excite me!
B. Five likes and five dislikes
5 Things I Like:
1. Rainy days. I’m always more productive when it’s raining and love the creativity it fills my soul with.
2. Coffee. I’m an avid iced coffee drinker. And while I should be ashamed to admit this, I regularly drink 3-4 cups per day!
3. Being a mom. I have three kids (Lillian, age 5; Colton, age 4; Brady, age 3). While I love being a mom, I do not recommend having three children three years in a row!
4. The Lord of the Rings. I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but I know my way around Middle Earth. Tolkien is my hero (and favorite author)!
5. Teaching. I’ve been a university instructor for 10+ years and simply adore teaching writing coursework.
5 Things I Dislike:
1. Cracking knuckles. I absolutely cannot stand it when my husband cracks his toes. He does it on purpose when he’s irritated with me!
2. Overwhelm. I teach full-time at a university and have two part-time jobs (in addition to being an author). I’m proud of the way I manage my time, but some days are harder than others!
3. Onions. I don’t like how they smell. I don’t like how they taste.
4. Mosquitos. I’m fair-skinned and must emit the exact right scent to attract mosquitoes. Without fail (and it doesn’t matter the type or amount of bug repellant) I get bit at least 25 times every summer.
5. Being late. I’m a punctual person and it stresses me out like crazy when I’m not at least 5 minutes early to everything.
C. Three things on your bucket list
1. I want to travel to New Zealand! I’m an avid traveler and have lived abroad twice for study abroad programs in both undergraduate (France) and graduate school (England).
2. I’d love to take a hot air balloon ride at sunrise. We had one scheduled in Paris in 2020, but the trip was cancelled due to COVID-19, and we never had the opportunity to reschedule.
3. I’m an elder emo and proud of it! When I was younger, I absolutely adored seeing my favorite bands play live but one I haven’t gotten to see live yet. is Mayday Parade.
D. What triggered this specific story?
In 2008, while enrolled in an advanced writing for mass media course in graduate school, I was asked to write a full-length film script as my final project. The work I completed was a total trash fire, but the characters and their stories stayed with me for well over a decade. And when the moment came and I spoke the words, “I’m going to write a book”, the first thing I did was return to this same story because the characters never truly left my heart.
I still have the film script I wrote and credit the Trading Heartbeats trilogy to this initial assignment. Without it, I’m unsure what my life would look like right now!
Secrets always have a way of coming out.
Mavis Benson made a huge mistake. Scratch that—colossal mistake. Twice. Sleeping with her high school sweetheart’s twin brother definitely wasn’t part of the plan… nor was falling in love with him.
But that wasn’t the only complication Mavis faced. When an unplanned pregnancy upends her life at seventeen, Mavis skips town to spare her boyfriend, Josh Templeton, from the fallout. With only a letter of apology, she disappears, but not before confiding her secret to Josh’s brother, Austin.
When Austin resurfaces in her life years later, he brings the past to Mavis’s doorstep. Josh wants her back, Austin isn’t willing to surrender, and the path to happiness isn’t clear. Caught between both men, Mavis must choose between the brother for whom she broke her own heart, and the brother who picked up the pieces.
I LOVED YOU YESTERDAY is a heart-pounding reveal of best kept secrets. The truth is never easy, and neither is putting down this page turner. Fans of Nora Roberts and K.G. Fletcher will want to get a copy of I LOVED YOU YESTERDAY.
~Winner of the ASSOCIATION FOR WOMEN IN COMMUNICATIONS CLARION AWARD.~
Social media links:
Tik Tok: https://www.tiktok.com/@julienavickas
Thanks for having a glass of wine with me, Julie! I do hope you get to do your hot air balloon ride in Paris at sunrise – sounds perfect! (I had to Google what an ’emo’ is – never too old to learn 🙂